Washing and Drying 

 

I finished washing and colour-fasting (not sure if that’s actually a word) all of the squares. Only three colours had any dye leakage, the yellow, orange and red. The red was really bad and it took me far too many rinses to get it to a point where almost no dye was coming off, this involved a lot of water, salt and even some dish soap! Although the water didn’t quite come out clear I checked to make sure that a white piece of yarn left in the water wouldn’t come out dyed before deciding it was done. It took a lot longer than I thought it would but at least now I won’t have to worry too much about the squares changing colours. 

A nice side effect of having washed all the squares is that the squares tighten up and shrink a tiny bit and I’m glad that that this happened before I sew them up so they won’t pucker. I actually quite like that they did this too though as it means the colours will seem a little more solid in the final blanket and it also means that the squares have a tiny bit of stretch now that they didn’t have before. For comparison, the washed one is on the right and an unwashed one is on the left.

  

I think that tomorow I might get them all organised and start seaming them into strips.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s